Parenting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To long for carseat

+3
asg12696
momE2B2007
hoop1426
7 posters

Go down

To long for carseat Empty To long for carseat

Post  hoop1426 Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:50 am

So what do you do when your baby is to long for the listed height on the car seat but is still under the weight requirement???

We are only 7 pounds away from the weight limit of 20 pounds, but her feet are hanging off Laughing
I just measured her length and she is almost 27" long and the car seat states up to 26".

So what would you do?
hoop1426
hoop1426

http://www.myspace.com/hoop322

Back to top Go down

To long for carseat Empty Re: To long for carseat

Post  momE2B2007 Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:39 am

Honestly, I would move her up to a convertible car seat that would allow for her height and weight. My dr said that it's okay to keep them in a little past the height restriction, just make sure their legs are crossed- not straight out- to minimize the risk of breaking their legs in an accident. Not very reassuring, is it?!
momE2B2007
momE2B2007

Back to top Go down

Post  asg12696 Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:38 am

We moved Aidan up to a convertible car seat before he hit the weight limit for the same reason. He was just too tall for it.

asg12696

Back to top Go down

To long for carseat Empty need to switch

Post  jc0604 Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:44 pm

She needs to move. If they are too long they should not be in the seat anymore. You need to switch to a convertible seat.
jc0604
jc0604

Back to top Go down

Post  ElizabethW Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:26 am

We had the same problem, we moved Bella up to a convertable car seat. It is rear facing until she is 1, since she is alread 24lb!
ElizabethW
ElizabethW

Back to top Go down

To long for carseat Empty hmm

Post  polisher33 Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:21 am

I didn't know that the infant car seats had different requirements then the convertible car seats. Now I am very glad I started out with a convertible car seat! My son at 9 months is already 30 inches and 21 pounds! People think he should be forward facing because he is so big and I keep telling them no the manual says he has to be 1 year old! lol
polisher33
polisher33

Back to top Go down

Post  Carseatfreak Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:56 pm

Ok, I know I'm new, and you don't know me, but here's the thing on this
First: you don't have to worry about their legs breaking from being rearfacing there has not been a single documented case of a child breaking their legs from rearfacing longer however a child between the ages of one and two is 4 times more likely to be injured forward facing than a child the same age who is still rearfacing.
Second: the general rules for outgrowing a carrier carseat by height, is that if the top of their head is within 1 inch of the top shell of the carseat, they're to tall and need to be moved up to a convertable.
Third: the american pediatric society reccomends that children remain rearfacing until they reach the rearfacing limits of the carseat.

unfortunately Drs don't often know this information, their information is often outdated and or completely wrong
Carseatfreak
Carseatfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  hoop1426 Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Carseatfreak wrote:Ok, I know I'm new, and you don't know me, but here's the thing on this
First: you don't have to worry about their legs breaking from being rearfacing there has not been a single documented case of a child breaking their legs from rearfacing longer however a child between the ages of one and two is 4 times more likely to be injured forward facing than a child the same age who is still rearfacing.
Second: the general rules for outgrowing a carrier carseat by height, is that if the top of their head is within 1 inch of the top shell of the carseat, they're to tall and need to be moved up to a convertable.
Third: the american pediatric society reccomends that children remain rearfacing until they reach the rearfacing limits of the carseat.

Thank you, I did not know most of what you said. Smile
We went yesterday and purchased a convertable seat that goes from 5-100lbs. So she is all set now!
And welcome! New or not, I appreciate input from anyone & everyone when I have a question.
hoop1426
hoop1426

http://www.myspace.com/hoop322

Back to top Go down

Post  Carseatfreak Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:33 pm

sounds like you got a 3in1, watch that you read the manual carefully, as it probably only harnesses to 40lbs, then it can only be used as a booster, and many believe it to be a not so great one, i hope it works out well for you
Carseatfreak
Carseatfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum